Texas Racing Act
Article 18. Miscellaneous Provisions
Sec. 18.01. Application of Sunset Act.
- (a) The Texas Racing Commission is subject to Chapter 325, Government Code (Texas Sunset Act). Unless continued in existence as provided by that chapter, and except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c) of this section, the commission is abolished and this Act expires September 1, 2023.
- (b) If, at the time that the commission would be abolished under Subsection (a) of this section, an association created under this Act has outstanding long-term liabilities:
- (1) the association may continue to operate for a period not to exceed one year after those liabilities are satisfied; and
- (2) the commission and this Act are continued in effect for the purpose of regulating that association under this Act.
- (c) If the commission and this Act are continued in effect under Subsection (b) of this section, the commission is abolished and this Act expires on the first day of the fiscal year following the fiscal year in which the commission certifies to the secretary of state that no associations are operating under the terms of Subsection (b) of this section.
- (d) An association that continues to operate under Subsection (b) of this section may not incur any new liabilities without the approval of the commission. At the beginning of that period, the commission shall review the outstanding liabilities of the association and shall set a specific date by which the association must retire its outstanding liabilities. Notwithstanding any contrary contract provisions, an association regulated under this Act may prepay any debt incurred by the association in conducting racing under this Act.
Repealed by Acts 1997, 75th Legislature, Ch. 1275, §54, eff. September 1, 1997.
Sec. 18.03. Other Lawful Businesses.
An association may conduct other lawful business on the association's grounds.
Sec. 18.04. Suit to Have Precedence.
The courts shall accelerate the disposition of any action brought under this Act.
Sec. 18.05. Fee in Lieu of State Taxes.
A fee or payment collected by the state under this Act is in lieu of any other fee, payment, or tax levied by the state. This section does not preclude the application of the sales tax or any increase thereof to the sale or purchase of taxable items by a person or association licensed under this Act or the application of the franchise tax to a person or association licensed under this Act.
Sec. 18.06. Release of Liability.
A member of the commission, an employee of the commission, a steward or judge, an association, a horsemen's organization, or any other person regulated under this Act is not liable to any individual, corporation, business association, or other entity for a cause of action that arises out of that person's performance or exercise of discretion in the implementation or enforcement of this Act or a rule adopted under this Act if the person has acted in good faith.
Sec. 18.07. Past Performance of Association.
In considering a pleading of a racetrack association, the commission shall take into account the operating experience of the racetrack association in Texas, which includes, but is not limited to, the financial condition of the track, regulatory compliance and conduct, and any other relevant matters concerning the operation of a track.
Sec. 18.08. Distance Learning.
The commission may provide assistance to members of the racing industry who are attempting to develop or implement adult, youth, or continuing education programs that use distance learning.